Monday, June 11, 2012

Why Church People Suck; My Jesus Face



I’m talking about myself too, on some level. Because, we all do it. This thing – being fake by putting on the front we think people want to see, the face we think Jesus most adores.

I was part of a small group a few years back. And to be honest, I did not connect deeply or even LIKE many of the people I met. I always felt like a misfit, like if I really shared what I thought I’d be judged. Being on staff at the church made it worse. Church leadership is inherently isolating, but that topic is for another day.

Fast-forward a few years … I had my first baby and desperately needed to connect with other moms. I found myself reconnecting with a few people from that small group only this time, it wasn’t over sermon discussions or even intentionally faith-based. Instead, we bonded together over our new common link, motherhood. I quickly found that the pseudo-honest conversations we had partaken in from years past were leveled. Motherhood stripped away all pretenses. We were in this thing, together. Bonded over breast-milk and teething and sex with our husbands post-baby. Discussion points weren’t dictated by a sermon or administrated by a question-sheet. It was life, lived, together. These are some of my favorite people now.

Someone close to me went through a pretty awful lawsuit many years ago. Christian on Christian violence. The defendant of this suite was baffled. He had attended church with the plaintiff for a decade, knew him as an elder and spiritual leader and yet here he was, being sued by his old Christian mentor. In discussing the situation with a trusted Christian businessman, the defendant shared how blindsided he was by the discrepancy in the plaintiff’s outward lifestyle and supposed sense of morality when the truth of the matter was clearly, entirely different. The wise businessman, listening, asked if the defendant had ever WORKED with this person before going into business with him. In response, the defendant revealed that the only context in which he knew the plaintiff was in church. The wise man shook his head and said; that’s never enough. He began to share his experiences and instructed the defendant with this; you must work with someone – see how they really are, how they live life outside of church before you can trust the integrity of their character.

Character isn’t tested inside the temple. It is rare that within the confines of a worship service the intentions of the heart would be publically exposed.

We go to church to worship and be inspired in our faith journey but when it comes to growing together spiritually, it’s often, simply, shallow. Part of the inherent problem with trying to find friends based solely off of spiritual connection is, we’re all striving toward being somebody else. Jesus…or our perception of Him. There is therfore an element of striving to be higher than you really are involved in those connections. People struggle with being. As they are. As I am. We’re supposed to be transparent but without perfection, there is judgment implied.

We put on our Jesus Face. And sadly, none of us really look like Him anyway.

I’m not picking on anyone here. If it isn’t clear, please understand – I have my Jesus Face too. I can play church like the best of them. It takes concerted effort and an almost –I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK- attitude for me to just, BE. Me. Oh, I know others who do it better, whose masks are thicker and harder to crack. My point is, I think we ALL do it. We talk christianese at church and keep cuss words for the car ride home. We sip our special small group coffee and keep our wine and cigs behind closed doors. (Or outside, for when the kids go to bed. *ducks*)

I don’t fault the Church for this. Faith isn’t really the problem.

People are. You are. I am. Together, we can be crazy. And what I really mean is, FAKE AS HELL! This is why church people suck. When we get together, we change ourselves to be something and when we do that, it’s impossible to connect. Shallow water is good for very little.

Did Jesus find any of His closest friends at Temple? Did He go searching for a small group of like-minded individuals to be in his special network? No. He found people that were already living life – fishermen, a doctor, a tax accountant, etc. And some of these people were already doing life TOGETHER. He chose people who were un-churched and worldly. I’m willing to bet that one of the reasons He did this was because He knew they’d more easily follow and learn without all the church pretenses. They were not Pharisees; they were not church leaders. They did not have a Jesus Face. But they sure knew how to break bread together.

When it comes to really knowing people, we have to do life with each other. And that doesn’t mean an hour a week of prayer and sermon discussion. I think if it doesn’t go any deeper, it’s perpetuating the façade – the very thing that is turning 30-somethings away from Christianity by the droves.

People, we have to get the hell out of church and do a work project with our neighbors. Let's raise our babies with other parents. Have a beer and talk shop. Go grocery shopping and have a community barn-raising. What small groups do in five years, just 'doing the damn thing' of life does in 6 months. I think it’s foolish to believe real relationships are made in church. We are asking too much and expecting too little, unfairly.

Put away the Jesus Face. Because I’m pretty sure He sees your real face and thinks it’s, beautiful. I bet your friends will too.

3 comments:

Snug said...

The problem too is that the world we live is is full of people just putting on faces to get by. No real connection. No real emotion. When they actually experience a true emotion or conection, it is usually awkward and uncomfortable.

I think that this "jesus face" that you very keenly reference is the unfortunate part about being Christian these days.

I know alot of people that fit the mold of christianese at church and curse on the way home... i do .

I thnk people are so scared of being judged
and just want to be loved
that they put on faces to fit the group or environment they are in

This is of course made worse by the internet and people not actually talking to each other with intonation understood...

ah well..

xoxo
Miss you darling, truly.

Love,
Stephanie

Lindsay Louise said...

Oh Steph (Snug), I MISS you.

"I thnk people are so scared of being judged
and just want to be loved
that they put on faces to fit the group or environment they are in"

Wow. Yes.

Sad.

Anonymous said...

I'm an atheist so I only associate with intelligent,sane, rational, well grounded, scientific minded people. I know a lot of people and the most insecure and neurotic types believe in a god and are affiliated with a church. Believers tend to have very limited educations and have an overall poor perception of reality. Atheists and agnostics are all scholarly minded folks. They tend to be deep thinkers and sweat the details, unlike believers who "think" based on their emotions rather than their intellect. There is absolutely no empirical, repeatable, irrefutable scientific evidence supporting the existence of a god, nor is there any to support the validity of religious belief. Religion is based on anecdotal "evidence" and is as worthless as a wooden nickel.