Thursday, May 31, 2012

Randoms (5)

I have get these things off my chest. They tickle my mind late at night and serve to distract me during the day. Sometimes it's the little lingering, unresolved thoughts that produce the most stress. At any rate... here are my "randoms," part five.

• I just finished reading The Help. I pick up accents pretty easily. Not well, mind you – but easily. I have been talking like southern mammy for a few days. I’m pretty sure my children find this odd.
I’m amazed at how far we’ve come in such a short amount of time. People focus so much on how far we have to go with regard to equality for women and minorities but it was NOT that long ago that segregation and open legislated racism was part of the very fabric of this country. We are not perfect, and I don’t agree with everything Obama does or says but the fact that we HAVE a minority in office is revolutionary. It’s worth taking a moment to think about now and again.

• I’ve been thinking a lot lately, about roles. My role. Wife & mother but also my role with friends & family & work & church. It’s good to evaluate and reevaluate. I’m discovering a lot. About me. And in so doing, about other people.

• Selah discovered her knees this month and is trying to crawl. When she is mobile, I’m pretty sure life as I know it will be over. How in the WORLD will I be able to chase TWO children around the park? It’s hard enough chasing Nico when Selah is just sitting in the stroller.

• The newest thing with both my children is their interactions with one another. Selah sits in the back of the double stroller and pulls Nico’s hair now. He turns around and giggles and then tries to bat her head. These interactions happen all day long. It’s terrifying and endearing. I cannot wait for the day Selah is sturdy enough so that I can fully allow them to wrestle each other without fear she’ll be crushed. It’s good exercise and entertainment for both, having each other.  I'm glad we had them so close.

• I need to get intentional about exercise. It’s a matter of discipline. And I know it. And I’m avoiding it. My sister gave me Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred for my birthday. That was 25 days ago. I will start it June 1; I will! I’m thinking of doing a microblog on twitter (@cityflicker) documenting my 30-day journey; follow along at your own risk.

• This summer is getting quite booked, and it’s still MAY. How in the WORLD are we this busy? I feel like it’s going to be an interesting few months. There seems to be a stirring, movement; I have a sense of fluidity and current washing away all things old. A new adventure awaits and I’m excited.

• After almost four years at ACAC, I have resigned. More about that another time.

• Sunshine makes me happy. That is all.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

ohhh i love these updates. It's the random little thoughts that fill our days and our hearts. I hope you can fit Lulu and I in this summer! If you might move we gotta hang out in the meanwhile!!! And if I come to the park with you at least it's 2 adults on 3 kids... that's better, right? Maybe not. Worth a shot anyways.