Tuesday, December 2, 2014

19 Kids & Counting - Their Rights, Our rights

I have an on and off again fascination with 19 Kids and Counting. Sometimes, I watch them in total dismay and am somewhat entertained by the absurdity of their gender roles, dating rituals and narrow worldview. Other times, it makes me sad because having also gown up Baptist, I understand the kind invasive condemnation, fear mongering and cult-like oppression that so often goes hand in hand with conservative evangelicalism.

But I also have a respect for principles lived out, in flesh and blood, even when it’s inconvenient or unpopular. I admire the laughter and sibling comradely that is apparent among all 19 of them, and it seems to me that Jim Bob and Michelle have a loving marriage that has somehow stood the test of time – so many children – and all the comes with that.

I also understand that some of their more radical, deeply ingrained beliefs come from a long history of exclusive doctrine and a very literal, biblical worldview. They live what they believe and are not shy about it. It’s a large part of why they’re on television in the first place.

Why anyone was remotely surprised or suddenly upset because they specifically vocalized their “biblical stance” and personal beliefs regarding homosexuality, the transgender community and gay marriage is simply, baffling. What in the hell did America expect? Almost anyone who watches the show does so with an odd mix of confusion, preposterousness and fascination. Nothing about them is “normal.”

What makes me sad isn’t so much that they disagree with the homosexual lifestyle; that was obvious after episode 1. Instead, what I find somewhat appalling is the reaction of so many people signing forms and speaking hate and threatening a network because these people executed their 1st amendment right to speak freely and uphold their constitutional right to their beliefs. Furthermore, TLC’s right to broadcast human beings in their natural element, is just that – the`y’re right. Our right is choice - to watch or not watch the show.  

I don’t agree with them. I passionately don’t. But I find it wrong that the work we do for equality, liberty and justice should only be for those we agree with. Hasn’t that been the motto of the LGBT community? People that are different are still people, worthy of respect - free, in a free country - to pursue happiness.

I have another secret; I sometimes watch the Kardashians. And I don’t agree with a TON of what those girls do, starting with Mom K herself.  I associate with no one who agrees in totality with the Kardashian message. But leaked sex videos, rampant divorces, naked Kim photos and a total disrespect for authority is E!’s right to broadcast.

It’s impossible to find two more different families on reality television today –Kardashians/Duggars. Both offend different subsets of American culture and both upset the moral compass of the liberal/conservative coin. But their right to be who they are, a network’s right to film within the guidelines of the FCC and our right to partake in their media presence or not is what makes me happy to live in this country.

I don’t want the gay communities rights threatened. And I don’t want all the evangelicals silenced either. We cannot as a society keep doing this picking and choosing of freedom according to our worldview.

A lot of people died in vain if this is what it comes to.

We always go too far.

These extremes are unhealthy. And pointless. Real people are really hurting all over the world yet we live in glass houses hypocritically throwing pebbles.


Can we just, stop? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the root problem with many in the church, particularly in the US, is a belief that the state is an extension of the church. People have made their sacred documents and leaders messianic.

In reality they're both heading in completely different directions.

My opinion... :)

Nikki Donatelli said...

Lindsay it's no surprise we have always had a lot in common like it or not lol but I sometimes giggle because you actually write my thoughts from my head without knowing it haha. Such as this i feel some same things about these two shows. I do love zoning, enjoying their right to be so damn different and absolutely absurd at times, like it or not world. My husband tends to get disgusted by my choice of tv shows but I typically respond with "its not like I'm taking life lessons from these reality shows but I do enjoy their right to be who they are opening their life to the world and simply entertaining the shit out of my few hours that I choose to detach." Lump it judgmental world I have a guilty pleasure 19kids and KUWTK, it could be worse. ;) love ya for many reasons but even more for blogging about things no one actually will have the guts to say. Xo Nicole