Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Open Windows; Cityflicker Things You'll See & Hear

Spring is here and with it comes cool breezes, cherry blossom, green ivy and open windows. And with open windows comes, a vulnerability I am not sure I am prepared for. Living in a community like mine - town homes on a busy urban road, it's inevitable that you will see and hear things from others you wish you didn't. And vise-verse  I guess to prepare you or maybe to somehow explain, here are a few things you'll see and hear as you walk past my house.

  • At any given moment, you will hear me tell Nico to put his pants on. Yes, we have reached the special age of nudism and body obsession. I now know more about boy parts than I ever wanted to know. 
  • With the nudity obsession, you will also hear me tell Nico where to pee. Just today, I had to tell him sternly that he is not allowed to urinate on his sister. All the while Selah giggling, totally clueless as to what I just saved her from.
  • You will see a giant play horse in my window. Because while I try to keep my house as adult as possible in the common rooms, I also entertain a lot of moms with children and they need to do something. Riding "Giant the horse" in the window is a favorite pass time.
  • From 8:30-9:30AM, unless I am hosting something or at a morning activity, you will hear PBS cartoons. Yes, I firmly believe in 'decaying' my children's minds with Curious George and The Cat in the Hat.. Judge me at will. I don't care.
  • At 5:30PM, we eat dinner. Like clockwork. I believe in routine. And I enjoy cooking.
  • Likewise, from 7-8pm, you will see our family sitting on couches, usually one child on my lap and the other on Michael's, watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. We mute the TV during commercials and read books and tickle little bellies. And when it's on, we shout out answers and giggle when we actually get it right.  
  • You will hear screams of delight and cries of pain, because having a one year old and a two year old means lots of laughter and lots of band-aids. And also, lots of correction.
So if you're in the neighborhood, stop on by. Take a ride on the horse and watch a round of Jeopardy. Or just keep walking and close your ears.

No comments: