Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Ode to My Twenties

I turn 30 in two days. May Day!

As I look over my twenties, I can’t help but smile, shake my head, and laugh. Ten years and ten thousand mistakes; ten years and ten million blessings. Even in the worst of times – the heartbreaks, disappointments, failures, losses and hardships I am thankful. I learned so much, more so from the difficult times than the good ones. I have no regrets.

I began my twenties in the year 2000. During the misconceived hysteria of Y2K I stood among what seemed like a sea of Chinese in Hong Kong to bring in the new millennium. In my 20’s I traveled to China, the Philippines and Spain; lived in Hawaii, Texas, Lancaster and Pittsburgh; moved 16 times; lived in 8 apartments, 3 houses and 3 dorms; worked 11 different jobs; went back to school as an older student; graduated college top of my class, dated a gazillion "wrong for me" boys; met and married the man of my dreams; got pregnant; and bought a house. I have partied and I have preached, I have loved and I have hated, I have struggled and I have forgiven. I have lived.

What I’ve learned in these ten years of adventure is that I am the sort of person who stubbornly refuses to live in the regret of ‘what-if’ so much so that it has cost me time, money, and probably a few relationships along the way. But I feel confident in this: that cost of living life to the fullest and falling on my face a thousand times, isn’t nearly as painful as living in a fearful bubble of never risking the unknown. With every risk and with every failure, I have grown more and more myself and more and more sure of the faithfulness of my Savior.

Onto a new chapter. 30!

No comments: